Thursday, December 18, 2008

Season's Greetings from Sunriver, Oregon

When we unlocked the cabin's front door and stepped inside, I had to hold back the tears. Tears of joy, that is.

I should have gotten a clue to what was in store when I noticed that the front steps and porch had been freshly shoveled. Once inside, we were greeted by soft music playing on the stereo and a cozy fire already lit in the gas stove in the corner. A welcome basket filled with gourmet cookies, a savory snack mix, an assortment of chocolates, and a bottle of wine was centrally placed on the kitchen counter.

The place was literally screaming "WELCOME!"

Oohing and awwing followed as we wandered around the rooms, tastefully decorated with "cabin decor" and attention to detail filling every cozy corner. Big fluffy pillows on the beds. A sofa and chairs that spoke "come sit here, sink in and stay awhile." Oversized fleece throws to wrap around our shoulders. A kitchen filled with everything we could possibly need and then some. An enclosed back deck with a hot tub. Huge pine trees all around, adding to the feelings of seclusion.

Peace.

It has been four years since our last family vacation. I was bound and determined that we would get in "one more" before Sam goes off to graduate school and into the rest of his life, with Rebecca right behind him. Bound and determined......more like hell-bent. You all know how I am when it comes to my family. I do think about things like how family vacations with the four of us won't be easy to accomplish too many more times. It's been impossible, as a matter of fact, over these past four years. Summer jobs or internships, differing spring breaks, and differing family temperaments made family vacations together a thing of the past.

Or so I thought.

All of our family vacations have involved "roughing it" in one form or another. While I do love cooking over a campfire, I wanted something more this time around. Something really special. Something wonderful to add to the family memory bank.

Looking ahead to the December holidays and figuring it to be the best time for us all to be "off" from school and work at the same time, I actually started the process of searching for the perfect getaway last January. For awhile, I dreamed of Hawaii. Then I was very attracted to Belize. Mexico?

Way, way, way out of our price range.

So, long story short, here we are near Bend, Oregon, just a half-days drive from home. A half-days drive and a world away from our daily routines, schedules, deadlines, stresses, hassles. How did I find this place? Through the wonders of the internet and a website called Vacation Rentals By Owner. I will definitely use this tool again, as what I found for us is exceeding my wildest dreams.

We went sledding today. The snow was perfect. Lots of deep, fresh powder fell overnight, transforming everything into the most beautiful winter wonderland. After a few trips down the hill myself, I was more content to sit on a hay bale and sip hot chocolate, watching Mark and the kids and our dog Mocha race each other.

The dog won, every time.

We will be here ten days. Ten glorious days. Days filled with outdoor activities, shopping excursions (gotta find the best thrift stores in Bend!!), local exploration. Evenings filled with meals we take turns preparing, card and board games (we are currently hooked on Bananagrams and a dominoes game called Mexican Train), watching movies, eating popcorn, reading books.......

OK, I just let out those tears after all. I am just so happy right now. My heart is full and I feel very, very blessed. This is my most special Christmas memory in the making.

Christmas morning (and I do expect to be awakened by the youngest member of the family, just like every year since she was about four) there will be just a few small things that "Santa" brought, tucked in near the fire for us to open. The real gift this Christmas is this gift we have given to each other. Time to be together. Time to talk, time to play, time to strengthen the bond. No distractions other than the free wireless internet service that enables me to do what I am doing right now. writing this blog while I am anticipating the penne pasta with Italian sausage and a fresh Caesar salad that's being prepared in the kitchen tonight, by someone other than me! (I was a tiny bit worried that the kids would retreat to their rooms with their laptops for the week, but so far that hasn't happened. This is huge, considering they are both in college and have facebook pages and email and love to look at fun stuff on You Tube or whatever.)

Merry Christmas. And God bless us, every one. Bless us with knowing the difference between wishing for/wanting what we can't have, and being happy with what we do have. So it ain't Hawaii. So instead of warm sunshine and miles of sandy beach, it's pale winter sunshine and deep fresh snow.

I have everything I've ever wanted, right here, right now.

3 comments:

Lyndsay Wells said...

Oh my gosh Ruby - I LOVED this,and am so incredibly happy for you. The cabin and the warmth, and the love just ooze from the page. I could picture all of it and am there, right this minute, with you in spirit.

It really is fruitcake weather my friend. Have the most wonderful time ever.

Peace, joy, and most of all love to you and your family.

Mave

Angelnina said...

Awww, I know how much you love our family, so I am just grinning ear to ear while reading this one.
We've had major snow and cold weather up here. We Seattle-ites don't quite know what to do with ourselves. I started reading "Walden". We also put chains on the Olds and have helped the kids make it back and forth to the grocery store.
Have a wonderful holiday in your cabin! I am hoping to make a trip to Idaho soon. Would be nice to catch up.

Angelnina said...

"OUR" family SHOULD say "YOUR" family!